A year on, families grieve for Argentina’s missing submariners

Zulma Sandoval, 56, mother of missing submariner Celso Vallejos, stands with her banner outside the Mar del Plata naval base | © AFP | Mara SOSTI
Zulma Sandoval, 56, mother of missing submariner Celso Vallejos, stands with her banner outside the Mar del Plata naval base | © AFP | Mara SOSTI

by Fernando Legarreta, with Liliana Samuel in Buenos Aires
Mar del Plata (Argentina) (AFP) |

Thursday’s will be harder, marking a year since the last communication was received from the sub before it vanished into the depths of the Atlantic with a crew of 44.

“Our families have been destroyed” says the 55-year-old.

Mendiola shows up at the Mar del Plata base because, like the others, she has nowhere else to go.

“We cannot go to our homes. We go to the base every day — morning and evening. We need to see the bodies of our children, have them as best we can,” says Mendiola.

Yolanda Mendiola, mother of Argentine submariner Fabian Cisneros, shows a pin with his picture at a military hotel in Mar del Plata, Argentina, on November 07, 2018. Cisneros was part of the crew of the Argentine submarine San Juan, which went missing on November 15, 2017
Yolanda Mendiola, mother of Argentine submariner Fabian Cisneros, shows a pin with his picture at a military hotel in Mar del Plata, Argentina, on November 07, 2018. Cisneros was part of the crew of the Argentine submarine San Juan, which went missing on November 15, 2017 | © AFP | Mara SOSTI

She is one of several women who have been living for the past 12 months in a military hotel near the base, nearly 2,000 kilometers (1,200 miles) from her home in the northern city of Jujuy.

She is still waiting to find out what happened to Petty Officer Leandro Cisneros, her 28-year-old son.

– Last contact –

The navy lost contact with the submarine on November 15, some 450 kilometers from the Argentine coast. It was on its way back to base from Ushuaia at the southern tip of Argentina.

A massive air and sea search began 48 hours later involving units from 13 countries, but the majority withdrew before the end of 2017, as the wintry South Atlantic refused to give up its secrets.

The navy has been fiercely criticized for its handling of the operation since first reporting the submarine overdue at Mar del Plata on November 16.

It was only several days into the tragedy that navy officials acknowledged the old, German-built submarine had reported a problem with its batteries in its final communication on November 15.

And nearly 10 days later, the navy confirmed there had been an explosion on board, which experts said was likely linked to the battery problem.

Several senior officers were dismissed, including navy chief Marcelo Srur.

The navy has a poor reputation in Argentina. During the 1976-1983 military dictatorship, some navy facilities, like the one at Mar del Plata, served as detention and torture centers, and an estimated 30,000 people disappeared.

Francisca Soria (L), mother of missing crew member David Melian, is embraced by Victoria Morales, mother of submariner Esteban Garcia, in Mar del Plata, Argentina, on November 07, 2018
Francisca Soria (L), mother of missing crew member David Melian, is embraced by Victoria Morales, mother of submariner Esteban Garcia, in Mar del Plata, Argentina, on November 07, 2018 | © AFP | Mara SOSTI

Authorities have opened a criminal investigation on orders from a judge in the city of Caleta Olivia, a port in Patagonia where maritime cases are usually heard.

The judge has so far heard testimony from 70 people but says she is no closer to knowing what happened.

Families of the missing crew have kept up pressure on the government not to give up on the search, staging protest marches and camping out in front of the local assembly.

More than 25 million dollars has been spent on the search, defense ministry official Graciela Villata told a congressional committee this week.

– Still believing –

Some of the mothers still hope that the sub had another destination other than the bottom of the ocean and that, fanciful as it may seem, the crew is still alive.

“It’s coming up to a year now. And we will be there waiting for him to come back,” said Zulma Sandoval, 56, mother of 39-year-old submariner Celso Vallejos.

“It would be a huge miracle if the submarine showed up and we saw them return, because truthfully, nobody knows what happened,” she said.

Francisca Soria (L) and Lourdez Melian, mother and sister of missing submariner David Melian, at a military hotel in Mar del Plata, Argentina, on November 07, 2018
Francisca Soria (L) and Lourdez Melian, mother and sister of missing submariner David Melian, at a military hotel in Mar del Plata, Argentina, on November 07, 2018 | © AFP | Mara SOSTI

Far from her house in the northern city of Santiago del Estero, a tearful Lourdes Melian, 21 continues a lonely vigil with other relatives in Mar del Plata.

“I feel that my brother is no longer here,” she says of officer David Melian, 32. “I prefer that to thinking he’s still there, or that they have been kidnapped.”

The loss of the San Juan is the first major tragedy to hit the navy since the Falklands War in 1982. Argentina, which refers to the islands as Las Malvinas, lost the war to Britain.

Some crew members had told their families they had been shadowed on previous trips by British ships. That has led some family members to believe the sub may have been in the exclusion zone around the still-disputed islands.

Victoria Morales and Luis Garcia, in Mar del Plata on November 7, 2018
Victoria Morales and Luis Garcia, in Mar del Plata on November 7, 2018 | © AFP | Mara SOSTI

“I dream of my husband. I asked him where he was and he told me he was in the Malvinas and that he couldn’t talk,” Andrea Mereles told AFP.

In those dreams, she says her husband tells her: “What I told you about what happened us in the previous trip — that we were followed by a British submarine — the same thing happened again.”

Where the submarine disappeared, on the edge of the Argentine shelf, depths plummet from 200 meters (650 feet) to more than 3,000 meters.

Experts say the sub would have been crushed by water pressure once it dropped below about 600 meters.

© 2018 AFP

Latest International News

Top

Thanks for your referral. We have no doubt your friends will love our newsletter as much as you!

Don't forget to verify your email.

to our FREE newsletter
SUBSCRIBE to our FREE newsletter.




SELECT your titles:

Alex News
City Buzz
Fourways Review
Joburg East Express
Midrand Reporter
North Eastern Tribune
Northcliff Melville Times
Randburg Sun
Roodepoort Northsider
Rosebank Killarney Gazette
Sandton Chronicle


Get regular news updates sent directly to your inbox.

Your source of local breaking news and trending stories from across the country.

Be a part of our growing community

1MILFacebook Fans
98KTwitter Followers
5MILMonthly Readers
12MILArticles Published Every Month
72Local Community Websites
CLICK HERETo view an example of our newsletter

SUBSCRIBE to our FREE newsletter

SELECT your titles:

Alex News
City Buzz
Fourways Review
Joburg East Express
Midrand Reporter
North Eastern Tribune
Northcliff Melville Times
Randburg Sun
Roodepoort Northsider
Rosebank Killarney Gazette
Sandton Chronicle

Get regular news updates sent directly to you inbox.

Your source of local breaking news and trending stories from across the country.

Be a part of our growing community

Subscribe Here
1MILFacebook Fans
98KTwitter Followers
5MILMonthly Readers
12MILArticles Published Every Month
72Local Community Websites
Your details:


Your friends: